- 3 (171 g) eggs
- 175 g (7/8 cup) sugar
- 10 g (2 tsp) almond extract
- 2.5 g (1/2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 300 g (2 1/4 cups) all purpose flour
- 50 g (1/2 cup) ground almonds (optional)
- 10 g (2 tsp) baking powder
- 1.5 g (1/4 tsp) salt
- 150 g (1 cup) blanched almonds
- Preheat oven to 325 °F. Grease or line with parchment a cookie sheet.
- Whip together eggs and sugar 5 minutes until it forms a ribbon. Stir in the extracts.
- Sift together the flour, ground almonds, salt, and baking powder.
- Add the flour mixture and almonds to the egg mixture and stir together until evenly combined. Mixture should be fairly moist and somewhat sticky.
- Turn dough onto a heavily floured board. With floured hands, form dough into a log about 30 cm long, or into one or more logs appropriate to the size of the cookie sheet and size of biscotti desired. Place logs on the cookie sheet, well separated.
- Bake about 30 minutes until cookie is firm.
- Cool in a wire rack about 10 minutes until firm enough to slice.
- Slice log diagonally with a serrated knife 1 cm thick. Slice carefully, particularly through almonds, to avoid tearing the biscuit.
- Place slices on cookie sheet and return to oven. Bake for 8 minutes, turn over, and bake another 8 minutes, until golden brown on both sides.
- Cool on a wire rack until fully cooled and crisp.
Variation: Hazelnut Biscotti
- Substitute 30 g (2 tbs) Frangelico for the extracts and hazelnuts for the almonds.