- 1 cup water
- 2 1/2 cups sugar
- 1 pound almonds, blanched
- 1 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Put the sugar and water in a heavy pot and cook as for candy to the soft-ball state (240 °F).
- Meanwhile, put the almonds through the fine blade of a meat grinder 4 times, to grind fine and release the oil. The first time through, add them a few at a time to avoid jamming the grinder.
- Add the ground almonds to the sugar mixture with the almond extract, stirring until creamy.
- Turn out the almond mixture onto a marble surface. Let cool.
- Knead the almond mixture together until smooth.
- Wrap in a damp cloth and put in an airtight container. Let mellow refrigerated one week before using.