- 1 lb white beans,
- 1 tsp salt,
- 1/4 lb salt pork,
- 2 tsp mustard powder,
- 5 tbs dark brown sugar,
- 4 tbs light molasses,
- Soak the beans at least 8 hours in twice the volume of water.
- Add salt, stir, then drain, reserving liquid.
- Preheat oven to 300 °F.
- Cut of 1/3 of the salt pork and place in bottom of a bean pot, then cover with the beans.
- Blend mustard, sugar, and molasses with reserved bean liquid, then pour over beans.
- Cut several gashes in remaining piece of salt pork (or cube it) and place on top of the beans.
- Cover and bake for 6 hours, adding boiling water as needed to just cover the beans. Uncover for final hour to crisp salt pork. Correct seasoning before serving.