- 6 tbs butter
- 7/8 cup sugar
- 2 eggs, separated
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 3/4 cups (7 oz) cake flour
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup millk
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Grease two 8-inch cake pans.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Cream butter and all but 2 tbs of the sugar together until light. Beat in egg yolks and vanilla.
- Add the flour mixture and milk alternately in three stages. Beat until smooth.
- Beat the egg whites until stiff but not dry, adding the remaining 2 tbs sugar when they are foamy.
- Stir 1/3 of the egg whites into the batter, then fold in the rest.
- Spread in the cake pans. Bake 30 - 35 minutes.
- Cool 10 minutes in pan, then remove onto a wire rack.