These peaches are shockingly delicious, absorbing the flavours of the spices and complemented by the brandy. While there may seem like a lot of syrup in the jars, the will absorb some of it during the resting period, and the syrup alone is excellent on many desserts.
IngredientsFor 6 1-L jars
- 3 kg peaches
- 2 kg sugar
- 1 L water
- 400 g (450 mL) brandy
- 3 vanilla beans
- 3 sticks Ceylon cinnamon sticks
- 12 cloves
- 6 cardamom pods
- Bring a pot of water to boil and peel peaches by blanching one minute, shocking in an ice bath, and removing peel.
- Combine sugar and water and bring to boil until sugar completely dissolved.
- Slice peaches in half and remove pits.
- Reduce heat to simmer. Poach peaches 5 minutes. Remove to a bowl and cool.
- Remove syrup from heat and cool slightly. Stir in brandy.
- Distribute spices evenly among 6 1-L jars, then distribute peaches among the jars. Pour syrup in each jar until full.
- Seal in a boiling-water bath 10 minutes.