In my book, these are the only kind of biscuits to make. I use the American term "biscuits" though many of my friends know these as "scones".
- 2 cups all-purpose flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 2 tsp baking powder
- 1/3 tsp baking soda
- 1 tbs sugar
- 1/2 cup (4 oz) butter, shortening, or lard
- 2/3 cup buttermilk
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Stir together all the dry ingredients until well blended.
- Cut in the fat until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Add the buttermilk and mix until just blended.
- Knead 30 seconds on a floured board. The light kneading builds enough structure to help increase the rise. The buttermilk helps them remain tender.
- Pat or roll on board until 1/2 inch thick.
- Cut into 2-inch rounds. Place touching each other in 2 greased 8-inch round pans.
- Optional: brush tops with melted butter.
- Bake 15-20 minutes, until golden on top.
Variation: Drop biscuits
- Use 1 cup buttermilk.
- Drop in spoonfuls onto baking sheet.