Since a full pie pastry recipe is used but only a top crust is prepared, this has a thick crust.
- 1 pie pastry
- 3/4 cup carrots, diced
- 3/4 cup celery, chopped
- 3/4 cup peas
- 3/4 cup onion, chopped in 1/2 inch pieces, OR 12 pearl onions
- 4 tbs butter
- 1/3 cup flour
- 2 cups chicken stock
- 1 cup evaporated milk, OR 1 cup light cream
- 1/2 tsp pepper
- 1/2 tsp (approximately) salt
- 4 cups cooked chicken
- Prepare pie pastry, using proportions for a 9-inch 2-crust pie.
- Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Cook the carrots, celery, peas, and onion, until soft. I usually microwave them about 10 minutes, giving the carrots a 2-minute head start.
- Melt the butter over medium heat, add the flour, and cook the roux a few minutes.
- Add the stock and milk or cream and heat, whisking constantly, until thickened and smooth. Season to taste with salt and pepper, and cook 5 minutes longer.
- Put the vegetables and chicken in a deep pie plate or casserole and pour the sauce over.
- Roll out the pie crust and lay over the top. Crimp the edges and vent the crust.
- Bake 30 minutes, until bubbling and crust is browned.
- Cool on a rack.