- 1/2 cup milk
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 tbs butter
- 1 tbs corn syrup
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 1/2 oz unsweetened chocolate
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 oz fondant (optional)
- Combine the milk, sugar, butter, corn syrup, and salt in a heavy-bottomed saucepan. Bring to a boil, then wash down the sides of the pot to dissolve sugar crystals.
- Cook without stirring until the mixture registers 234 °F.
- Remove from heat. Add chocolate and vanilla extract, but do not stir it in.
- Place saucepan in a larger pan of cool water, to hasten cooling and minimize crystallization risk. Let cool to 110 °F.
- Add fondant if using. Beat until mixture just begins to lighten in color and thickens slightly, which indicates sugar crystallization, up to 10 minutes.
- Spread on cake when still thin enough to flow but thick enough to stay in place, and allow to set.