- 2 cups masa harina
- 1 1/8 cups (approximately) water
- 1/3 tsp salt (optional)
- Place a griddle over high heat.
- Mix together the ingredients, then knead a few minutes to form a smooth dough - stiff but not crumbly. Add a little more water if necessary to correct the texture.
- Divide into 12 balls. Keep unused dough covered while working.
- Using a tortilla press or rolling pin, press each ball between sheets of wax paper into a tortilla about 6 inches in diameter. Peel off the paper.
- Place tortilla on griddle and cook 15 seconds. Flip and cook another 15 seconds. Flip again and cook a final 15 seconds. Griddle should be hot enough that brown spots will appear but the tortilla will not burn. Tortilla will puff up when it is done. Remove from griddle.
- Keep finished tortillas covered until all are done. Serve immediately.