- 230 grams (2 cups) bread flour
- 230 grams (1 2/3 cups) all-purpose flour
- 2 tsp instant yeast
- 2 1/2 cups milk, lukewarm
- 3/4 tsp salt
- 2/3 cup water, lukewarm
- 1/2 tsp baking soda
- In a large bowl, stir together the flours and yeast.
- Add the milk and mix to a thick batter. Beat 2 minutes until batter is stringy.
- Cover and let rise until the batter doubles and falls again, about 1 1/2 hours.
- Beat in the salt, then let rest 20 minutes.
- Heat a griddle to 375 °F, and grease it and crumpet rings.
- Dissolve the baking soda in the water, then stir gently into the flour mixture.
- Place the crumpet rings on the griddle, and pour about 1/3 cup of batter into each, to fill them half way. Crumpets should immediately form holes on the surface; add small amounts of water to the remaining batter if not.
- Bake until the top no longer looks wet, about 3 minutes. Remove the rings, then flip the crumpets and bake another 2 minutes. Crumpets should be pale golden on both sides, and about 3/4 inch thick.
- Repeat baking process until all the batter is used up.