These are leaner and higher than American biscuits, but are otherwise similar. It is important that they are an even thickness when cutting, or the tops will topple over in the oven.
IngredientsFor 8 scones
- 142 grams (1 cup) all-purpose flour
- 142 grams (1 1/4 cup) pastry flour
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 2 tbs sugar
- 1/4 cup (2 oz) (57 grams) butter
- 7/8 cup milk
- Stir together all the dry ingredients until well blended.
- Cut in the butter until mixture resembles cornmeal.
- Add the milk and mix until just blended.
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Knead 10 seconds on a floured board.
- Pat or roll evenly on board until 1 inch thick.
- Cut into 2-inch rounds. Place about 1 inch apart on a greased baking sheet.
- Optional: brush tops with milk.
- Bake 15 minutes, until golden on top. Cool 10 minutes before serving.