IngredientsFor about 40 cookies
- 150 g (3/4 cup) shortening
- 200 g (1 cup) sugar
- 1 egg
- 75 g (1/4 cup) light molasses
- 25 g (2 tbs) milk
- 250 g (2 cups) flour
- 1 tsp baking soda
- 1/4 tsp salt
- 1 tbs ginger, ground
- 1 tsp cinnamon, ground
- sugar for rolling
- Preheat oven to 375 °F. Grease some cookie sheets.
- Beat together the shortening and sugar. Add the egg and beat until light and fluffy, then stir in milk.
- Sift together the flour, baking soda, salt, ginger, and cinnamon, then beat into the other mixture until smooth.
- Gather small bits of dough and roll between the palms of your hands into 1-inch balls. Roll in sugar, then place on the cookie sheets, 2 inches apart.
- Bake about 8 minutes, until cookies have spread and tops have cracked, but they are still unset in the middle.
- Let rest 5 minutes, then remove from cookie sheets and cool on a rack.