Gooseberry jam is tart and flavourful, good on scones to accompany meats.
IngredientsFor 3 pints
- 1000 g gooseberries
- 250 g water
- 1000 g sugar
- Fill a canning kettle with water to the appropriate level and bring to boil. Reduce heat and keep ready at the boil until the jam is ready. Sterilize canning jars and lids.
- Pick over the gooseberries to remove stems and leaves, and rinse them.
- Put the gooseberries and water in a pot with at least three times the capacity of the batch.
- Bring batch to a boil. Keep at the boil, stirring occasionally, until the gooseberries soften and begin to break down, the volume drops noticeably, and mixture starts to thicken.
- Add the sugar to the gooseberries, stir in to dissolve, and return to the boil. Continue to cook, stirring frequently, until the batch reaches the jellying point, around 221 °F.
- Can and seal jars in canning kettle 10 minutes.