This Italian cheese cake is less sweet and lower in fat than American style cheese cake. The ricotta cheese gives it a rustic graininess, and the citrus zest complements the savoury flavour.
- 900 g (2 lb) ricotta cheese
- 1 tsp orange zest
zest of one orange
- 200 g () (7/8 cup) sugar
- 50 g (1/3 cup) all-purpose flour
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 6 (375 g) eggs
- Preheat oven to 325 °F.
- Line the bottom of a 9-inch springform pan with parchment paper. Grease the bottom and sides, tap a small amount of flour all over, and tap out excess.
- Optionally, in a food processor, process the ricotta cheese and zest until smooth, about 2 minutes.
- Continuing in the processor, or in a hand or stand mixer, mix in the sugar, flour, salt, and vanilla extract until smooth.
- Beat in the eggs one at a time, making sure mixture is fully combined, but to avoid adding too much air do not over mix.
- Pour into the prepared pan.
- Bake about 1 hour 15 minutes, until sides are firm and center is barely wobbly.
- Cool on a rack in the pan a few hours.
- Run a paring knife along the edges of the pan, then remove the sides. Chill cake until firm.