About half the recipes I found call for the butter and flour and half didn't. Using them yields a richer pie that is more tolerant of overbaking.
- 2 (360 g) lemons
- 450 g (2 cups) sugar
- 1/4 tsp (2 g) salt
- 4 ( g) eggs
- 50 g (4 tbs) butter (optional)
- g (3 tbs) flour (optional)
- 1 Pastry for 9-inch two-crust pie
- Halve lemons lengthwise. Slice them crosswise paper thin, removing any seeds on the way and discarding ends that contain no flesh.
- Put slices in a bowl. Add the sugar, and stir well to combine.
- Let sit 1 hour, stir again, then cover and let macerate at least 24 hours.
- Whisk eggs until frothy, and whisk in salt. If using, melt and cool the butter, then whisk butter and flour into the egg mixture until evenly combined.
- Stir together egg and lemon mixtures.
- Preheat oven to 425 °F.
- Line pie plate with a crust, pour in mixture, and top with another crust. Crimp edges and vent.
- Bake 15 minutes. Reduce oven to 350 °F and bake another 35 to 40 minutes. Pie is done when a knife inserted into the filling comes out clean.
- Cool on a rack.