- 350 g (1 1/2 cup) (3 sticks) butter
- 200 g (1 cup) sugar
- 1 (57 g) egg
- 25 g (2 tbs) milk
- 1 tsp vanilla extract
- 1/2 tsp almond extract (optional)
- 400 g (2 3/4 cups) flour
- 1 tsp baking powder
- 1/4 tsp salt
- Preheat oven to 350 °F.
- Cream butter and sugar together.
- Add egg, milk, and extracts and mix until smooth.
- Sift together flour, baking powder, and salt, then stir into butter mixture.
- Form into 1-tbs balls and place on cookie sheet about 2.5 cm apart, then flatten.
- Bake about 10 minutes, until they begin to turn light brown at edges.
- Cool on sheet 1 minute, then slide off cookie sheet.
Variation: Jam tots
- Instead of flattening the balls, use the thumb or a wine cork to make a hole in the center, almost to the bottom.
- Bake 8 minutes. Remove from oven, remake the impressions with a larger tool, then return to oven and bake 5 minutes longer.
- After cookies have cooled, melt jelly or strained jam. Carefully spoon into the impressions to the very brim, about 1 tsp per cookie.
- Let sit a few days for the jelly to set and shrink down a little.