This recipe is specifically for canned cherries because that's all that's available where I live.
- 4 cups canned sour cherries, drained, juice reserved
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 3 tbs cornstarch
- 1/8 tsp salt
- 3/4 cup juice from the cherries
- 1/2 tsp almond extract
- Prepare a crust for a 9-inch 2-crust pie. Preheat the oven to 425° F.
- Blend together the dry ingredients, making sure to get rid of the lumps in the cornstarch.
- Add the cherry juice and almond extract and mix evenly. Add the cherries and toss together.
- Place the cherry mixture in the pie crust. A lattice top is best.
- Bake 15 minutes, then reduce the heat to 350° F and bake 30-40 minutes more, until bubbling.
- Cool on a rack.