This is the basic dough for sweet yeast bread desserts, such as coffee cakes and cinnamon rolls.
- 1 cup milk
- 1 cup water
- 4 tbs butter
- 2/3 cup sugar
- 2 eggs
- 1 1/2 tsp vanilla extract
- 1 lb (3 1/4 cups (approximately) ) all purpose flour
- 1 lb (3 1/4 cups (approximately) ) pastry flour
- 2 tsp salt
- 1 tbs instant yeast
- Scald the milk. Add to mixing bowl with butter and sugar. When butter melts, add water, eggs, and vanilla extract.
- Add flour, yeast, and salt. Knead to a dough, about 10 minutes.
- Form the dough into a ball. Add a teaspoon of oil to a bowl that is 2 or 3 times the volume of the dough. Place the dough top down in the bowl and move around to distribute the oil. Flip it over so the oiled side is up.
- Cover the bowl and let dough ferment at a warm room temperature, around 85 °F. Let rise until doubled in bulk, about 3 hours.
- Shape and bake as directed in recipe. Sweet bread should be baked at a lower temperature or for less time than normal breads because of the sugar which will brown more.