IngredientsFor 2 9-inch cakes
- 1/2 lb (2 sticks) unsalted butter, at cool room temperature
- 1 1/2 cups sugar
- 4 large eggs
- 2 tsp vanilla extract
- 3 cups (12 oz) cake flour
- 1 tbs baking powder
- 1/2 tsp salt
- 1 1/4 cup milk
- Preheat oven to 350 °F and grease two 9-inch round cake pans or one 9 x 13-inch cake pan.
- Cream butter, then gradually add sugar. Cream until light.
- Add the eggs to the butter one at a time, beating after each addition. Add vanilla.
- Meanwhile, sift together flour, baking powder, and salt.
- Add the milk and flour to the butter mixture alternately in three parts, mixing gently to combine each time. Beat just until smooth.
- Spread batter in pans and bake until tests done, about 40 minutes.
- Cool on rack 10 minutes, then remove from pans and cool completely.