Use the finest ingredients possible, quality chocolate and cocoa make quite a difference here. The original recipe even advises using bottled mineral water.
IngredientsFor 4 6-oz servings
- 1/4 - 1/3 cup sugar
- 1/4 cup (1 oz) (28 g) cocoa
- 1/4 cup water
- 2 1/4 cups whole milk
- 3 1/2 oz (100 g) bittersweet chocolate, chopped
- Combine the sugar, cocoa, and water in a 2-quart saucepan. Bring to the boil, whisking until smooth. Cook 1 minute.
- Add milk and bring to boil again.
- Add chocolate and return to boil, whisking constantly until chocolate melts and mixture thickens.
- Blend for 5 minutes with an immersion mixer or whirl the hot chocolate in a standard blender for half a minute, until thick and foamy.