These are Scandanavian cookies that are deep fried like donuts, using a special iron to shape a batter.
- 225 g (1 cup) milk
- 2 (110 g) eggs
- 5 g (1 tsp) vanilla extract (optional)
- 15 g (1 tbs) granulated sugar
- 3 g (1/2 tsp) salt
- 125 g (1 cup) all purpose flour
- shortening for frying
- Beat together all ingredients to form a smooth batter.
- Let rest 1 hour.
- Add enough shortening to a pan or fryer to cover the donuts when melted (about 5 cm deep). Heat to 375 °F.
- Immerse rosette iron in oil until hot, about 1 minute.
- Dip rosette iron into batter, allowing it to come close to but not over top of iron.
- Dip iron back in shortening to submerge batter. When it puffs, remove iron, and slip cookie off back into the oil.
- Continue to fry the cookie until brown, about 2 minutes.
- Remove to a wire rack and let cool while frying the remainder. Continue to fry rosettes until the batter is used up.