This is a northern Indian lamb and spinach curry. The spinach may be chopped or puréed; I prefer the texture closer to the latter. Other dark greens may be substituted for the spinach, but spinach has the best flavour.
- 4 cloves garlic
- 1 tbs ginger
- 1/2 tsp cayenne, OR 1 chili
- 1 tbs coriander seed
- 1 tsp cumin seed
- 4 tbs yogurt
- 1 1/2 lb lamb or mutton stew
- 2 tbs ghee
- 2 onions
- 2 tsp garam masala
- 2 lb spinach
- 2 tomatoes, OR 1 cup tomato purée, OR
- 1/2 cup water AND 1 tbs lemon juice
- 1 tsp salt
- Mince garlic, ginger, and chili. Grind the coriander and cumin.
- Combine spices with yogurt in a bowl.
- Add the stew meat and mix well. Marinate 1/2 hour.
- Dice onions.
- Slice spinach into thin ribbons, then crossways into small pieces.
- If using, dice tomatoes.
- Melt ghee in a pot, then add onions. Fry, stirring occasionally, until brown.
- Add lamb with all the marinade. Fry, stirring occasionally, until the moisture cooks down.
- Fry to brown slightly. Add the garam masala and fry another 30 seconds.
- Add spinach, tomatoes or water, and salt and stir together.
- Reduce heat, cover, and simmer gently until lamb is tender, about 1 hour. Taste and correct seasoning.