IngredientsFor 1 10-inch cake or 1 12 by 17-inch jelly roll
- 50 g (4 tbs) butter
- 4 (230 g) eggs
- 25 g (2 tbs) sugar
- 150 g (2/3 cup) sugar
- 6 g (2 tsp) vanilla extract
- 1 g (1/8 tsp) salt
- 75 g (3/4 cup) cake flour, sifted
- Preheat oven to 350 °F. Butter and flour a 10-inch cake pan.
- Clarify the butter, and let cool.
- Separate the eggs.
- Beat the egg whites and salt together in a clean (grease-free) bowl with clean beater blades. Beat until soft peaks form, then sprinkle on the 2 tbs sugar and beat until stiff peaks form.
- Beat the egg yolks, and while beating gradually add the 2/3 cup sugar. Add the vanilla extract, then continue to beat until the mixture is thick, pale yellow, and forms a ribbon, about 5 minutes.
- Add 1/4 of the egg white mixture to the egg yolk mixture, and sift on 1/4 of the flour. Fold gently together until partly blended.
- Repeat with another 1/4 of the total egg whites and flour, then another 1/4, and finally the remainder. With the last batch, add the butter. Mix well but gently to avoid deflating.
- Spread evenly into pan. Bake 30 to 35 minutes, or 12 minutes for a jelly roll cake.
- Invert onto a rack, then immediately flip again onto its base to cool.
Variation: Jelly roll or yule log
- Preheat oven to 375 °F.
- Use a 12 x 17 inch jelly roll pan. Add a layer of parchment paper to the bottom, and grease that.
- Be sure to spread batter very evenly in a thin layer in the pan. Bake about 12 minutes.
- Invert onto a towel. Remove the parchment paper and immediately roll up lengthwise with the towel in it. Let cool in the towel.
- When cool, unroll, remove towel, fill with desired filling, and reroll.